Monday, January 7, 2008

Evaluate Stotan

I thought the novel Stotan was an average book. Some parts were boring or just way over dramatic, while others were exciting and fun to read. Overall, I thought that this book was an okay novel. Chris Crutcher used the Six + 1 traits of writing (ideas and content, organization, individual voice, word choice, sentence fluency, conventions, and presentation) pretty well. This is how I think they were used well and bad.

First, ideas and content was used somewhat well. I thought that at some times the ideas and subject was a little weird or off subject. Yet at other parts, she seemed to have the right ideas at the right time to make a great effect. Organization, which goes together well with ideas and content, was pretty good. The organization always seemed to be in the right order so that it made sense and parts seemed to be placed in the right areas.

Individual voice I thought was used great. I could always know who was speaking and what their thoughts were. Chris Crutcher made is characters talk straight forward so that it was easy to read and understand. Word choice was pretty good also. He used a colorful vocabulary so that teens, the primary readers could understand it and still learn new words from it.

I thought that the conventions were mediocre in this novel. Sentence Fluency was very good though. Each sentence seemed to flow right along with the others. Many of the sentences, in my opinion could have been a little more descriptive, but other than that they were very good.
It was easy to read out loud and seemed to have a flow to it.

That is how I would evaluate this book using the Six + 1 traits of writing as a guide. Some of it was great, while other parts could have been much better and easier to understand. Overall, I thought this book was somewhat good.

No comments: